This, my friends, is what packet pickup is like.
For those of you unfamiliar with the concept of "packet pickup," allow me to explain: When you enter a race, you receive a bag of "stuff" a few days before the event. (And by "receive," I mean that you have to drag your two kids—in traffic—over to the running store to actually pick your stuff up, all the while trying to keep them off the store treadmill, away from the fascinating assortment of gels, and out of the path of other people trying to pick up their race stuff.)
There's actually no packet. It's just a bag. Inside the bag, you'll find your bib. That's the number you wear on race day. You'll also find an assortment of race announcments, free giveaways, and (best of all!) your race shirt. Ah, the "free" race shirt (it's not actually free since each race costs between $20 and $30 to enter). I have a drawer full of these shirts, and I love each and every one. I have a ritual with regard to the shirts. They can never, ever be worn BEFORE a race. And never ever during a race. The race shirt can only be worn once you successfully complete a race. So, on race day, it's the shirt I change into after I've finished the race—either for a dry change of clothes or after I've had a chance to shower.
In addition to a pretty cute shirt (may become my new favorite), yesterday's packet included the following:
- My bib (a cute, feminine one at that)
- A free trial pack of whole-grain rice
- A sample of aquaphor
- A small bag of coffee





3 comments:
That almost makes me want to run. I love "freebies"!
When you're sick of wearing the shirts, save them. They will make a really cool t-shirt quilt.
http://www.goosetracks.com/images/t-shirt-quilt3oct01.JPG
xoxox
Laurie in OH
p.s. Good luck this weekend. Hope you beat your best time with no trouble.
Laurie
pics or it didn't happen (just kidding)
Good luck and have fun.
Post a Comment