At least when it comes to running gear. (Though I suspect that money can at least help happiness along in other areas as well.) On Sunday, I set out for an 11-mile long run in my new running skirt (the Atalanta Commitment). The skirt and I are in love. Seriously. None of my running shorts have pockets to speak of. But the Commitment (hereafter referred to as "The Skirt") has two pockets. I was able to carry my cell phone (a new addition to my running staples, but one that seems essential at these distances), a package of sports beans, a few bucks (also a new addition to my running staples but probably a smart idea), a few pieces of gum, and the unbelievably large Mazda key. So, even before I started running, The Skirt and I were off to a good start.
For 11 miles, The Skirt and I ran in wedded bliss. The shorts don't ride up, which is really saying something over the course of 11 miles on a very humid day. There were no chafing incidents. As I learned while training for the Lakefront 10-Miler, chafing happens around the six-mile mark for me. A running friend says it happens to everyone (I thought maybe my gear was faulty--one time I did a long run in pants with an inside tag and ended up with the worst road rash on my leg....) and recommended Body Glide. The trouble with Body Glide is that you have to practically have ESP to use it effectively. I can hit the trouble spots from last time, but it's just not enough. This time, I ended up with hideous road rash around my ipod sportband. I wear this thing for every single run and have never, ever had a problem with it. So why now? It's a mystery, that's for sure.
But The Skirt.... It did me no wrong. It's nothing short of the most miraculous piece of running gear I've ever owned. It's almost so freaking awesome that I'd be willing shell out another $50+ for a second one. Almost.
In other running news, the half-marathon is something like 18 days away. I wish I'd thought the timing through a little better. This week has been so awful I've pretty much been too stressed to run. I did run Monday and Tuesday but had to force myself both times. Yesterday I felt like I was running in place for four+ miles. And, after Saturday's long run, my hamstring is acting up. Which then becomes a heel problem that turns into a knee problem. It's all very low-level and not at all a big deal, but I can definitely feel the miles adding up.
liam's college graduation!
2 months ago





No comments:
Post a Comment