Every once in a while (I'm sure there's some sort of schedule to it that makes sense, but I haven't figured out exactly what that schedule is), I get a newsletter for the Chicago Half Marathon detailing transportation information and news about the race expo, along with a countdown to race day. The dwindling days between now and then always send me into something of a panic. I think that I've got the mileage base I'd need to at least finish the thing. On the other hand, I feel like I could have been training harder, longer, faster this entire time. Now there are only five weekends before race day--less than that if I plan to taper the weekend before the race. To further complicate scheduling matters, we're out of town for one night this weekend, plus I'd planned to race next weekend and the weekend after that. As for as long runs go, I can probably skip 11 miles since last weekend's long was so close to that distance. But I need to get in a 12-mile run (or two). And this weekend should probably be a cut-back week since I've gone long two weekends in a row.
So. As much as I hate to do it, I think I need to skip the two races I'd planned on doing. One was a 5K and one was a 10K. It would be too hard for me to find the time for a long run on top of these weekend races. Plus, you're not really supposed to race hard and then go right into a long run. I mean, people do it. But my 5K time goals (increase speed) are so incompatible with my half training (increase distance) right now.
The upside is that skipping both races will save me $60, which is good news considering that I just ordered a new running skirt (fourth in a series to find the perfect apparel for the half) and also that I need new running shoes and should probably purchase them now so I can break them in.
I'm still so tempted to at least run the 5K. But we'll see....
liam's college graduation!
2 months ago





No comments:
Post a Comment