6/12/2007

Little Red Schoolhouse

With the promise of good weather last weekend, we decided to take the girls out to the suburbs to the Little Red Schoolhouse. We wanted to take the girls someplace with cicadas, and the Little Red Schoolhouse fit the bill. The place was literally crawling with them. And can I just say--yuck! They were everywhere.



Happily, I managed to avoid having any of them land on me. Unfortunately, I was so wigged out about the bugs, that I think I wigged Ella out a little....
I think we might finally be getting to a point where such outings with the girls are easier. In fact, Ella wanted to hike much farther than we did. But Sadie kept holding everyone up because she doesn't walk in a straight line, stops frequently for random things, and tries to jump into large bodies of water. For some reason, she was fascinated by the rocks on the gravel trail and stopped every few seconds to pick some more up. On second though, maybe things aren't getting any easier!!

We tried to confine Sadie to the backpack, but she escaped the harness within seconds.


We tried the sling as well, but she wasn't having it. She had too much exploring to do.

And a big sister to keep up with....

After our hike, we headed over to Maple Lake for a picnic lunch. Babies and picnics don't really mix. By the end of lunch, Sadie was covered in food. But at least she was willing to share the wealth!

This ended up being about as perfect an outing as we could expect. Sadie concurs.
Now I think we are going to get Ella a fishing rod (Dean managed to find a princess one!) so that the next time we go up to Maple Lake, Ella can try her hand at fishing. I'm just not sure how she'll feel about making "worms dead." She's a fan of the worms.

No comments: