5/11/2008

Our Growing Family!

The girls enjoyed the koi goldfish in Mexico so much that we decided to get a fish. Dean wanted to get one fish in a bowl. But I've wanted an aquarium forever, so we compromised with a five-gallon aquarium and two goldfish. We set up the aquarium last week and went with the girls to pick out fish this weekend. They were super excited!

Sadie named her fish "Luna" after a super awesome dog we know (incidentally, I also used to have a cat named Luna). Ella named her fish "Flower."

Since Dean is allergic to cats, and we're not quite ready to commit to a dog (maybe once Sadie is potty-trained!), this is about all we can do petwise for the time being. I figured the allure would wear off pretty quickly (I mean, let's face it: Fish aren't that exciting), but Ella and Sadie are still pretty jazzed about the fish. At feeding time yesterday, the girls were rooting Luna and Flower on to see who could get the most food flakes. And yesterday afternoon, on the way to our mother's day festivities, Sadie wondered why we couldn't bring the fish along.

Here are some photos. It is suprisingly hard to photograph fish. I think the flash bummed Luna and Flower out. Luna is the 29-cent goldfish. Flower is the fancier goldfish with the white spots. I wonder if Luna feels inferior to Flower?

I'm probably headed to the pet store this week to get at least one more goldfish. I'm told we can have one fish per gallon of water. Ella is also insisting on a bigger castle, since the fish don't fit inside the one we have.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: