5/08/2008

Four Miles, Three New PRs

Last night, I set out for a four-mile tempo run. I had planned a mile warm up, two miles at a pace about 30 seconds slower than my best 5K pace, then a mile to cool down.

I finished my first mile and started the second at a pace that felt fast but managable. This yielded my first PR of the night: a 9 minute, 57-second mile. I slowed down some on the third mile but still managed to pull off a second PR for this particular run: a 33-minute 5K, which is about 30 seconds faster than my previous 5K PR. Miles 3 and 4 were done at a slower pace than mile 2. And even so, I came up with yet another PR for the run: 4.14 miles in 44 minutes. It's worth noting that when I started training in January, it took me about 50 minutes to finish a four-mile run. I've essentially shaved 1.5 minutes PER MILE off my four-mile run.

Today is a rest day. Which is good because I'm beyond sore.

I am LOVING my new Nike+ for my ipod Nano. Having real-time information about pace, distance, etc., *while* I'm running has been incredibly useful. At first, the Nike+ was off by about a tenth of a mile. But I calibrated it on Tuesday, and it seemed dead on last night.

Quick Fact:
PR stands for "personal record."

No comments: